Copyright Notice

All contents of this blog are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without prior written consent from the author. Copyright 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Jawad Akhtar.

Monday, October 4, 2010

New position

I have never before experimented with VIX calls / puts.  Today I am dipping a toe in the waters to get a little feeling for how to play these.  I opened a new call option in the VIX for Nov 25 calls at 4.80 per share (so it cost 480 for one contract).  Not sure how long I will stick with the position because the weekly chart of the DOW is still bullish (in my opinion).  However, market and stock drops generally continue for about 3 days when they occur (3 black candles - in a candle chart).   If the market drops for a couple more days (and that is a big IF), I could cash out on any profits I might have since the fear (and VIX) will spike.

The reason I say I am experimenting is that the options on the VIX are really expensive, and I believe that you will need a big move in order to significantly profit for a move (like the flash crash).  And then you might have to have a pre existing order or be in front of your computer to take advantage.  Let's see how this plays out.

1 comment:

  1. I went long on vix for 1 million. Dammit Jay. I hope it turns.

    ReplyDelete