Copyright Notice

All contents of this blog are protected by copyright and may not be reproduced in any form without prior written consent from the author. Copyright 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Jawad Akhtar.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Are we headed for a bear market?

Well, that is the million dollar question, and I wish I could answer that with certainty since then I could definitely make a million dollars.  Just looking at the daily chart of the DOW (see chart), it appears that we may be forming an expanding triangle.  Now expanding triangles are bearish by nature.  If we do stop at the lower boundary, we are looking around 9500-9600 for the DOW.  But if we fail to find support at 9500, there is no telling where the market will stop.  It could test and get support between 8000 and 8500 or it would proceed to the previous low around 6500.   Only time will tell.  I find optimism in the leading indicators from the economy that tell us that the US economy is growing again.  Yet I am afraid of the potential inflation lurking around due to all the liquidity and deficit spending around the globe.  The Hang Seng index is now officially in a bear market (more than 20% off the peak).  I will continue to watch this market for positive signs, but at the moment I am going to continue to hold my mostly cash position.

No comments:

Post a Comment